Sarah is in a preschool that is called Junior Genius Preschool. They go on field trips all the time. I don't remember going on field trips when I was in preschool. I also don't remember getting frequent lessons about U.S. history. Sarah told us about her latest lesson. Here it is in her own words:
Sarah: Once upon a time, George Washington's dad planted some cherry trees. They took a loooooooooooooong time to grow. One day, when aaaaaalllllllllllllllllll of the cherry trees were aaaaaalllllllllllllllllll grown up, George Washington took his knife-
Me: Don't you mean his axe?
Sarah: No, his knife. So, George Washington took his knife and he (she took a very dramatic deep breath around this point, her eyes wide) chopped down one of his dad's special cherry trees! (Right here, she stared at me very intensely.) That's baaaaaaaaaaddddd! Don't you ever do that!
Me: Oh, don't worry. I won't. Why did he cut down the tree?
Sarah: Hmm. I don't really know. So, then, George Washington's dad looked outside and saw that (another deep breath) one of his cherry trees was GONE! So, then, his dad ran, ran, ran to George Washington's room and said, (her voice got extremely low and angry at this point) "Geeeeoooorrrrggggeeee Waaasshhhiiinggggtoooon! Did yoooouuu cut down my very special cherry tree!?!?" And then George Washington said "No."
Me: Really? (At this point I was thinking "What are they teaching kids these days? That our first president was a lying, vandalizing, almost-juvenile delinquent as a child? Even I know that that story's not true!")
Sarah: Yes, he did! But then George Washington said , "Oh, fine! Yes, I did cut down your cherry tree, Dad." The End!
Me: Then what happened? Did George Washington get grounded?
Sarah: Yup.
Monday, March 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Abby said:
ReplyDeleteTA-DA! My first post in a while.
Sweet post. Little factoid: First published in 1800, the story is an elaborate fabrication. I know right? The story about not lying is kind of a lie...but most fables are not real stories. At least we have old honest Abe.
ReplyDeleteJeff everyone knows that it's not a real story...you don't have to be a Debbie Downer.
ReplyDeleteI think that is so cute. I love that Sarah was so dramatic when she was telling the story. I love that girl!
I will have you know that I didn't find out that it was a myth until last year...I always thought it was true.
ReplyDeleteSarah told me the same story last week. Abigail is much better at getting her to tell the story, I only got like halfway through.
Lily doesn't have field trips, but she got the presidents day "history" lesson last year. She came home singing "George Washington wasn't a very great man"!
ReplyDeletethat Sarah is the cutest. I love her version of this tail. I think that we had inferior preschools because none of my kids have any clue about Presidents Day.. .hm....
ReplyDeleteJust re-read this to the girls. This is great, creative re-telling Abby. You have a gift for writing, I think!
ReplyDelete